President Obama and world leaders continue to pressure Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu to make peace with the Palestinian Authority (PA), as if Israel is the primary obstacle to peace in the Mideast. Yet the PA can’t even make peace within itself.
- The territory the PA claims is deeply divided — not just geographically but politically.
- Gaza is controlled by the Hamas terror organization which does not see itself under the rule of PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas (aka Abu Mazen).
- Hamas has fired thousands of rockets, mortars and missiles at Israeli civilians, while the PA has done nothing to stop them.
- The West Bank is ostensibly controlled by Abbas who is serving the eighth year of a four year term, and Abbas refuses to call new elections.
- Abbas refuses to even recognize Israel a Jewish state.
Now Hamas is threatening to declare war on the U.S. if President Obama dares visit the Temple Mount in Jerusalem on his upcoming trip.
How exactly is Israel supposed to make peace with the PA in this environment?
“Hamas is warning that if President Obama visits the Temple Mount it would be a ‘declaration of war’ against the Islamic world,” reports AP and CBS News. “Israel National News reports the terror group made the threat during a protest march at the religious site following riots on Friday.”
“Mushir al-Masri, a Hamas spokesman, called for a third intifada if Obama visits the contested religious site in Jerusalem’s Old City between Israelis and Muslims,” AP notes. “Public Security Minister Yitzchak Aharonovich believes the warning will lead to violence flaring up in the region ahead of the president’s visit. ‘The Palestinians have not said the final word yet and we expect that there will be attempts to take advantage of the upcomingevents, like the visit by Barack Obama, in order to continue the violence,’ Aharonovich told Israel National News. White House officials have said Obama doesn’t plan on visiting the Temple Mount during his trip.”
- Hamas Threatens War if Obama Visits Israel’s Temple Mount (pjmedia.com)
- PA to Obama: Coordinate visit to ‘occupied’ Jerusalem with us (timesofisrael.com)
- Violence mounts in West Bank, Gaza in lead up to Obama visit (aworldchaos.wordpress.com)